Jump to navigation Jump to search
barring (plural barrings)
- (collective) Bars; an arrangement or pattern of stripes or bars.
- The act of fitting or closing something with bars.
- The exclusion of someone; blackballing.
- (mining) Timber used for supporting the roof or sides of shafts.
- (sewing) The sewing of a decorative bar or tack upon a fabric or leather.
- Synonym: tacking
- Unless something happens; excepting; in the absence of.
- Barring any further red tape, we will finally be able to open the restaurant.
- Barring any sudden storms, the plane should arrive on time.
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Wiktionary:Entry layout § Translations.