Jump to navigation Jump to search
- A spice mixture, usually consisting of chili peppers, garlic, ginger, basil, and other spices, which is used in Ethiopian and Eritrean cuisine.
- 1939, Ferdinando Quaranta di San Severino, Ethiopia, an empire in the making, page 16:
- Food in Ethiopia is always seasoned with berberè, a kind of pimiento.
- 1958, The Journal of Tropical Pediatrics and African Child Health:
- Wat is a sauce composed of legumes, including horsebeans, chickpeas, kidneybeans, and lentils pounded to a flour, and mixed with spices. First berbere (red pepper) is dried and ground, then mixed with onions and butter, thus forming a thick cream.
berbere m, f (plural berberes)
- Berber (member of northwest African ethnic group)
berbere m (uncountable)
- Berber (a group of closely related languages)