better to light a single candle than to curse the darkness
Jump to navigation Jump to search
- better to light one candle than to curse the darkness
- better to light one small candle than to curse the darkness
- better to light a candle than to curse the darkness
Often claimed to be an ancient Chinese proverb. Also often misattributed to Eleanor Roosevelt.
- Even in the face of hopelessness and discontent, it is more worthwhile to do some good, however small, in response, than to complain about the situation.
in bad times it is worthwhile to do good
- ^ Watkinson, William Lonsdale (1907), “Sermon XIV: The Invincible Strategy, (Romans: xii, 21)”, in The Supreme Conquest and Other Sermons Preached in America by W. L. Watkinson, F. H. Revell Company
- ^ O'Toole, Garson (19 March 2017), “Better to Light a Candle Than to Curse the Darkness”, in Quote Investigator, retrieved 16 September 2022