bite the big one
Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (idiomatic) To die.
1983, Susan Arnout, The Frozen Lady, page 397:
- "I thought all of dad's relatives bit the big one a long time ago."
- (idiomatic)To break down; to be impossible to repair or not worth repairing.
1988, Barbara Hambly, The silicon mage, page 5:
- Whatever air-conditioning system the car had once possessed had bitten the big one years ago; ...
- (idiomatic) To perform poorly; to fail.
1990, Norman Spinrad, Science fiction in the real world, page 183:
- Empire of the Sun was an enormous literary and commercial success in Britain but pretty much bit the Big One on its own in the United States.
- (idiomatic) To be unpleasant or undesirable.
1996, Stephen Kimball, Death duty, page 9:
- To Verdi, it bit the big one, but that was the way it worked.