blackball (plural blackballs)
- A rejection, a vote against admitting someone.
- A black ball used to indicate such a negative vote.
- Regardless how many other people may have voted to approve a candidate for membership, a single blackball will reject the candidate.
- The act of so rejecting someone.
- A kind of large black sweet; a niggerball.
- A substance for blacking shoes, boots, etc. or for taking impressions of engraved work.
- (transitive) To vote against, especially in an exclusive organization.
- If you're not from a moneyed, well-connected family, you can count on getting blackballed from the fraternity.
- 1898, Willa Cather, The Westbound Train
- Why, if I had known you all my life I should have grown up in the condition of Adam before the fall, and they would have blackballed me at the clubs.
- (transitive) To ostracize.