See also: Blockade
- Rhymes: -eɪd
blockade (plural blockades)
- The physical blocking or surrounding of a place, especially a port, in order to prevent commerce and traffic in or out.
- By extension, any form of formal isolation of something, especially with the force of law or arms.
- (nautical) The ships or other forces used to effect a naval blockade.
- (chess) Preventing an opponent's pawn moving by placing a piece in front of it
the isolation of something
- (transitive) To create a blockade against.
to create a blockade against