break the silence
Jump to navigation Jump to search
- To start talking in a conversation after a period where nobody speaks.
- Both men waited for the captain to make a decision. Finally, Dean broke the silence. "We need to know what to do, Captain! Before we sink!
- 1990, Depeche Mode (lyrics and music), “Enjoy the Silence”, in Violator:
- Words, like violence, / Break the silence / Come crashing in, / Into my little world
- To state an opinion on a subject that has been taboo for a period of time.
- 2012 June 19, Julian Baggini, “Why it's not the Dalai Lama's job to break the silence on Tibet”, in The Guardian:
- The Free Tibet campaign is calling on world leaders to break the silence, claiming they "continue to refrain from publicly speaking out for Tibet".