Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
carbuncle (plural carbuncles)
- (archaic) A deep-red or fiery colored garnet or other dark red precious stone, especially when cut cabochon.
- An abscess larger than a boil, usually with one or more openings draining pus onto the skin. It is usually caused by bacterial infection.
- (heraldry) A charge or bearing supposed to represent the precious stone, with eight sceptres or staves radiating from a common centre; an escarbuncle.
- An unpopular or ugly building.
- carbuncle (deep-red or fiery colored garnet or other dark red precious stone)