Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
See also: Carnival
carnival (plural carnivals)
- A festive occasion marked by parades and sometimes special foods and other entertainment.
2013 June 7, David Simpson, “Fantasy of navigation”, The Guardian Weekly, volume 188, number 26, page 36:
- Like most human activities, ballooning has sponsored heroes and hucksters and a good deal in between. For every dedicated scientist patiently recording atmospheric pressure and wind speed while shivering at high altitudes, there is a carnival barker with a bevy of pretty girls willing to dangle from a basket or parachute down to earth.
- (US) a traveling amusement park, called a funfair in UK English.
- We all got to ride the merry-go-round when they brought their carnival to town.
- When the carnival came to town, every one wanted some cotton candy.
festive occasion marked by parades