See also: cast away
castaway (not comparable)
- Cast adrift or ashore; marooned.
- After the mutiny, the castaway ship's officers suffered a month at sea in the lifeboat.
- The storm left them castaway on an uninhabited island.
castaway (plural castaways)
- (nautical) A shipwrecked sailor.
- Robinson Crusoe was a famous fictional castaway.
- A discarded person or thing.
- This old coat was a castaway in someone's trash.
- An outcast; someone cast out of a group or society.
- These homeless people are society's castaways.
- See also Thesaurus:outcast
nautical: shipwrecked sailor
discarded person or thing