- castle (attributive)
- (Castilian, ll-y distinction) IPA(key): /kas.te.ˈʎa.no/, /kah.te.ˈʎa.no/
- (Latin American, ll-y neutralization) IPA(key): /kas.te.ˈʝa.no/
- (Rioplatense) IPA(key): /kah.te.ˈʒa.no/
- Castilian Spanish as opposed to other varieties of Spanish
- the Spanish language generally
- lord of a castle; castellan
In some countries, including Argentina, the language is usually called castellano, even though Argentinian Spanish is quite different from the Castilian variety. In other countries, including Mexico, the language is usually called español.