Jump to navigation Jump to search
See also: Castellano
- castle (attributive)
- lord of a castle; castellan
- An ancient Spanish coin or a weight unit. About 8 ounces. (castellano by Merriam Webster.
- (Castilian) IPA(key): /kasteˈʎano/, [kast̪eˈʎano]
- (Latin America) IPA(key): /kasteˈɟ͡ʝano/, [kast̪eˈʝano]
- (Rioplatense) IPA(key): /kah.te.ˈʒa.no/
- Rhymes: -ano
- Castilian Spanish as opposed to other varieties of Spanish
- the Spanish language generally
- Synonym: español
In some countries, including Argentina and Peru, the language is usually called castellano, even though Argentinian Spanish is quite different from the Castilian variety. In other countries, including Mexico, the language is usually called español.