Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (slang) A sofa on which a jobseeker is expected to perform sexual acts in return for a part in a film or other job.
1982, Martin A. David, The dancer's audition book, pages 111:
- What the term "casting couch" hints at is that roles or jobs are given in exchange for sexual favors.
- (idiomatic, slang) The situation as described above.
2005, Dave Knox, Strike the baby and kill the blonde: an insider's guide to film slang, pages 45:
- casting couch: This refers to the alleged practice by some Hollywood producers and directors of furnishing an office with a couch, upon which would-be actresses perform special services in return for casting consideration...
1978 June, Caryl Rivers, “Sexual Harassment: The executive's alternative to rape”, Mother Jones Magazine, volume 3, number 5, page 22:
- ...when a writing test at a radio station turned into the casting-couch routine. She was typing a piece of copy when she realized the station manager had locked the door and was caressing her shoulders.