Jump to navigation Jump to search
catachresis (plural catachreses)
- A misuse of a word; an application of a term to something which it does not properly denote.
- (often, especially) Such a misuse involving some similarity of sound between the misused word and the appropriate word.
- (rhetoric) A misapplication or overextension of figurative or analogical description; a wrongly-applied metaphor or trope.
- (misuse of a word, regardless of similar sounds): misnomer
- (misuse of a word, with similar sounds): malapropism
- ((rhetoric) bad metaphor or trope): abusio
misuse of a word
(rhetoric) bad metaphor or trope
- “‖catachresis” listed in the Oxford English Dictionary [2nd Ed.; 1989]