Jump to navigation Jump to search
- cathartick (obsolete)
- Purgative; inducing mental or physical catharsis.
- Shaving, my favorite activity, is very cathartic.
- That which releases emotional tension, especially after an overwhelming experience.
purgative; inducing catharsis
cathartic (plural cathartics)
- (medicine) A laxative.
- 1833, R. J. Bertin, Charles W. Chauncy, transl., Treatise on the Diseases of the Heart, and Great Vessels, Philadelphia: Carey, Lea & Blnachard, page 165:
- The disease was regarded as pneumonia so far advanced that suppuration seemed to have supervened; bleeding, blisters, expectorants, and cathartics diminished the symptoms; the pulse continued frequent, hard, full, but always regular.
laxative — See also translations at laxative
Declension of cathartic