Chenille fabric on a sofa
Borrowing from French chenille.
chenille (countable and uncountable, plural chenilles)
- an extremely soft and bunchy fabric often used to make sweaters
- 1929, M. Barnard Eldershaw, A House Is Built, Chapter VII, Section vi
- The house seemed unfamiliar in the dark stormy light; the red and purple glass of the front door made livid bruises on the linoleum; the green chenille curtain was like a veil of seaweed.
Inherited from Latin canicula (“little dog”) (because of a caterpillar's head). Doublet of canicule.
chenille f (plural chenilles)
- caterpillar track, snow chain
- whirligig (fairground attraction)