Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
chinaberry (plural chinaberries)
- (US) The China tree or azedarac, Melia azedarach, a deciduous tree in the mahogany family Meliaceae, native to India, southern China and Australia, or its fruit.
- (US) The soapberry (genus Sapindus, especially Sapindus saponaria), native to the Americas.
1968, Charles Portis, True Grit:
- ‘The toilet is out back directly behind the chinaberry tree.’
- (US) Actaea rubra, a poisonous herbaceous flowering plant in the family Ranunculaceae, native to North America.
- (Melia azedarach): azedarach, Persian lilac, white cedar, cape lilac, syringa, bead tree
- (Actaea rubra): red baneberry, doll's eye
soapberry — see soapberry