Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- Short and fat, particularly in comparison with something of more favourable dimensions.
1903, William James Smith, Practical Compass Adjustment:
- The Navigating compass should stand about five feet above the deck, […] . This is a convenient height for the officer of the deck, unless perchance he may be chumpy, in which case he may be permitted to use a step.
1906, James Watson,:
- A chumpy neck is especially bad; for while a little dog may get along on a foot scent with a short neck, a comparatively large and unwieldy dog tires himself terribly by the necessity for crouching in his fast pace.
2000, Michael James, That'll Teach You!:
- Susan Bennett sat rigid, smoothing her skirt round her chumpy thighs and fixing her gaze on the wall above Marissa Caldwell.
- (slang, of a person) Blockheaded; dim-witted.
- (slang, mildly insulting) Like a chump; annoying.
- “Oxford English Dictionary [2nd ed., 1989]
Defined in the first sense (“short and fat”) only.
” listed in the