Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- In a close manner.
- Finnish and Estonian are closely related languages.
- The borderline between East and West Berlin was very closely guarded.
- The chairs are too closely spaced.
2012 April 29, Nathan Rabin, “TV: Review: THE SIMPSONS (CLASSIC): “Treehouse of Horror III” (season 4, episode 5; originally aired 10/29/1992)”:
- “King Homer” follows the story of King Kong closely, with Mr. Burns taking the freakishly over-sized King Homer from his native Africa, where he lives proud as a simian god, to the United States, where he is an initially impressive but ultimately rather limited Broadway attraction.
- (obsolete) secretly; privately
- That nought she did but wayle, and often steepe / Her dainty couch with tears which closely she did weepe.
in a close manner
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.