Jump to navigation Jump to search
See also: co-extensive
coextensive (not comparable)
- Having the same spatial limits or boundaries; sharing the same area.
- The city and county of San Francisco are coextensive.
- Occurring over the same period of time; contemporaneous.
- 1946, Bertrand Russell, History of Western Philosophy, I.30:
- His life is almost co-extensive with one of the most disastrous periods in Roman history.
- (logic) Having the same extension—the object or set of objects to which a term refers.
- 1995, Jaegwon Kim, Ernest Sosa, A Companion to Metaphysics:
- Coextensive expressions with different intensions cannot in general be substituted for one another within an expression e while preserving the extension of e (assuming that the extension of a declarative sentence is its truth value).