Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
collateral (not comparable)
- Parallel, along the same vein, side by side.
- Corresponding; accompanying, concomitant.
- Yet the attempt may give / Collateral interest to this homely tale.
- Being aside from the main subject, target, or goal; tangential, subordinate, ancillary.
- Although not a direct cause, the border skirmish was certainly a collateral incitement for the war.
- collateral damage
- That he [Atterbury] was altogether in the wrong on the main question, and on all the collateral questions springing out of it, […] is true.
- Of an indirect ancestral relationship, as opposed to lineal descendency.
- Uncles, aunts, cousins, nephews and nieces are collateral relatives.
- 1885, Richard Burton, The Book of the Thousand Nights and a Night, volume 5,
- The pure blood all descends from five collateral lines called Al-Khamsah (the Cinque).
- Relating to a collateral in the sense of an obligation or security.
- Expensive to the extent of being paid through a loan.
- Coming or directed along the side.
- collateral pressure
- collateral light
- Acting in an indirect way.
- If by direct or by collateral hand / They find us touched, we will our kingdom give […] / To you in satisfaction.
parallel, along the same vein
aside from the main subject, target
of an indirect family relationship
collateral (plural collaterals)
- A security or guarantee (usually an asset) pledged for the repayment of a loan if one cannot procure enough funds to repay. (Originally supplied as "accompanying" security.)
- (now rare) A collateral (not linear) family member.
- A branch of a bodily part or system of organs.
- Besides the arteries blood streams through numerous veins we call collaterals
- (marketing) Printed materials or content of electronic media used to enhance sales of products (short form of collateral material).
- A thinner blood vessel providing an alternate route to blood flow in case the main vessel becomes occluded.
security or guarantee
branch of a bodily part
printed materials to enhance sales
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.