Jump to navigation Jump to search
- commeçar (obsolete)
- (Portugal) IPA(key): /ku.mɨ.ˈsaɾ/
- (Brazil) IPA(key): /ko.me.ˈsa(ʁ)/, /ku.me.ˈsa(ʁ)/
- Hyphenation: co‧me‧çar
- (intransitive) to start; to begin; to commence
- Fique quieto, o filme já vai começar!
- Keep quiet, the movie is going to start soon!
- (transitive) to begin; to start to do
- Vou começar a lição de inglês falando sobre verbos irregulares.
- I will start the English lesson talking about irregular verbs.
- (transitive) to start; to initiate (to cause something to begin)
- Aperte play para começar o vídeo.
- Press play to start the video.
- O acontecimento começou um debate sobre o crime.
- The occurrence started a debate about crime.
- (auxiliary with a or por (less common) and a verb in the impersonal infinitive) to begin [to]
- Um pirralho começou a gritar.
- A brat began to scream / began screaming.
- (intransitive) to begin (to have a first experience)
- Não sei cozinhar ainda, mas comecei com alguns pratos simples.
- I don't know how to cook yet, but I started with some simple foods.
- first-person singular (eu) personal infinitive of começar
- third-person singular (ele and ela, also used with você and others) personal infinitive of começar
- first-person singular (eu) future subjunctive of começar
- third-person singular (ele and ela, also used with você and others) future subjunctive of começar
Conjugation of the Portuguese -ar verb começar
For quotations of use of this term, see Citations:começar.
- (to begin, intransitive): iniciar, principiar
- (to begin, transitive): iniciar, principiar
- (to initiate): iniciar, inicializar
- (to begin, auxiliary): principiar
- (to have a first experience): principiar
- (to begin, intransitive): acabar, terminar
- (to begin, transitive): acabar, terminar
- (to initiate): acabar com, terminar, finalizar, fechar
- (to begin, auxiliary): terminar de, parar de
- (to have a first experience): terminar