Jump to navigation Jump to search
- (General American) enPR: kŭmʹfərtĭng, IPA(key): /ˈkʌm.fɚ.tɪŋ/
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ˈkʌm.fə.tɪŋ/
Audio (UK) (file)
- Hyphenation: com‧fort‧ing
- Giving comfort.
- Your comforting words help ease my mind.
- It's comforting to know that I've always got my Mum when things go wrong.
comforting (plural comfortings)
- The act of giving comfort.
- 1836, Alexander Slidell Mackenzie, The American in England, page 269:
- Intrenched within the citadel of our apartment, and cheered by the comfortings of a coal fire, we passed the day in letter-writing, conversation, or gazing from the sheltered security of our windows upon the agitated sea […]