Jump to navigation Jump to search
compositor (plural compositors)
- A person who sets type; a typesetter.
- 1892, Walter Besant, “Prologue: Who is Edmund Gray?”, in The Ivory Gate […], New York, N.Y.: Harper & Brothers, […], OCLC 16832619:
- Thus, when he drew up instructions in lawyer language […] his clerks […] understood him very well. If he had written a love letter, or a farce, or a ballade, or a story, no one, either clerks, or friends, or compositors, would have understood anything but a word here and a word there.
- 1938, George Orwell [pseudonym; Eric Arthur Blair], chapter 4, in Homage to Catalonia, London: Secker & Warburg:
- All Spaniards, we discovered, knew two English expressions. One was 'O.K., baby', the other was a word used by the Barcelona whores in their dealings with English sailors, and I am afraid the compositors would not print it.
- 1983, Elizabeth L. Eisenstein, The Printing Revolution in Early Modern Europe, Cambridge University Press, Second edition, 2005, p. 56,
- However late medieval copyists were supervised — and controls were much more lax than many accounts suggest — scribes were incapable of committing the sort of "standardized" error that was produced by a compositor who dropped the word "not" from the Seventh Commandment and thus created the "wicked" Bible of 1631.
- One who, or that which, composes or sets in order.
- I work as an image compositor.
- (computer graphics) A system that puts images together in a buffer (such as individual windows on a desktop) to generate a final display image.
typesetter — see typesetter
- (Balearic) IPA(key): /kom.po.ziˈto/
- (Central) IPA(key): /kum.pu.ziˈto/
- (Valencian) IPA(key): /kom.po.ziˈtoɾ/
- “compositor” in Diccionari de la llengua catalana, segona edició, Institut d’Estudis Catalans.
- “compositor” in Gran Diccionari de la Llengua Catalana, Grup Enciclopèdia Catalana.
- “compositor” in Diccionari normatiu valencià, Acadèmia Valenciana de la Llengua.
- “compositor” in Diccionari català-valencià-balear, Antoni Maria Alcover and Francesc de Borja Moll, 1962.
- “compositor” in Dicionário Priberam da Língua Portuguesa.