Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
congruence (plural congruences)
- The quality of agreeing or corresponding; being suitable and appropriate.
- (mathematics, number theory) A relation between two numbers indicating they give the same remainder when divided by some given number.
- (mathematics, geometry) The quality of being isometric — roughly, the same measure and shape.
- (algebra) More generally: any equivalence relation defined on an algebraic structure which is preserved by operations defined by the structure.
the quality of agreeing or corresponding
number theory, relation indicating two numbers give the same remainder when divided by some number
geometry, quality of being roughly the same size and shape
equivalence relation preserved by operations
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Wiktionary:Entry layout#Translations.
Translations to be checked
congruence f (plural congruences)