Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
contention (plural contentions)
- argument, contest, debate, strife, struggle
- A point maintained in an argument, or a line of argument taken in its support; the subject matter of discussion of strife; a position taken or contended for.
- It is my contention that state lotteries are taxes on stupid people.
- (computing, telecommunications) Competition by parts of a system or its users for a limited resource.
- (computing) resource contention
contest, strife, struggle
point maintained in an argument
- “contention”, in The Century Dictionary, New York: The Century Co., 1911
- contention in Webster’s Revised Unabridged Dictionary, G. & C. Merriam, 1913
- English: contention