coot (plural coots)
- Any of various aquatic birds of the genus Fulica that are mainly black with a prominent frontal shield on the forehead.
- (colloquial) A foolish or eccentric fellow
- A silly coot.
- An old coot
- A rich coot
1960, P. G. Wodehouse, Jeeves in the Offing, chapter VII:
- “You'll be able now to give it as your considered opinion that [Wilbert Cream] is as loony as a coot, Sir Roderick.” A pause ensued during which [the psychiatrist] appeared to be weighing this, possibly thinking back to coots he had met in the course of his professional career and trying to estimate their dippiness as compared with that of W. Cream.
- (slang, with the) A success; something excellent.
- Man that song's the coot.
- Would be the coot if we could go this weekend!
- (slang) Body louse.
(other derived terms)
- (bird): fulicine