See also: corner-stone
cornerstone (plural cornerstones)
- A stone forming the base at the corner of a building.
- Such a stone used ceremonially, often inscribed with the architect's and owner's names, dates and other details.
- The cornerstone on the Flatiron Building is set on the Fifth Avenue facade.
- (figuratively) That which is prominent, fundamental, noteworthy, or central.
- Exceptional service is the cornerstone of the hospitality industry.
- That is the cornerstone of any meaningful debate about budgets and projects, regulations and policies.
that which is prominent, fundamental, noteworthy, or central