See also: Cotinga
cotinga (plural cotingas)
- Any of the neotropical passerine birds of the genus Cotinga
- 1857, John Benwell, An Englishman's Travels in America:
- Flocks of aquatic birds were to be seen on every side, the most numerous being the pelican, and a bird of the cotinga species, about the size of an English throstle, the plumage of which, being jet black and flamingo red, had a beautiful effect in the sunshine, as they flew or settled in thousands on the canes.
- 1921, William Beebe, Edge of the Jungle:
- Sheer color alone is powerful enough, but when heightened by contrast, it becomes still more effective, and I seemed to have secured, with two barrels, a cotinga and its shadow.
cotinga f (plural cotingas)