Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
count one's blessings
- (idiomatic) To focus one's attention on the circumstances of one's life which are pleasant or fortunate, especially with the intention of diverting one's thoughts from serious or disagreeable matters.
1915, Eleanor H. Porter, chapter 3, in Pollyanna Grows Up:
- Of course if she begins to preach, and to tell me to count my blessings, I shall send her away.
- 1995, Richard Lacayo et al., "Bart Simpson Calling," Time, 22 May:
- Rupert Murdoch isn't somebody to sit back and count his blessings.
2006, Mark Winegardner, The Godfather's Revenge, ISBN 9780399153846, page 175:
- The other out-of-town Dons patiently listened, perhaps counting their blessings that each had a city all to himself.