Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (16th century): cosener, cosiner, cousoner, coosener, cossoner, cousener
- (17th century): cos’ner, cosener, cosiner, couzener, coz’ner, cozoner
cozener (plural cozeners)
- An imposter, a swindler.
1606, William Shakespeare, The Tragedy of King Lear:
- The usurer hangs the cozener.
1993, Richard Burt, Licensed by authority: Ben Jonson and the discourses of censorship:
- Yet the difference between players and cozeners was not always secure.
- “Oxford English Dictionary [2nd ed., 1989] ” listed in the