Jump to navigation Jump to search
- Pulverized, rendered into small, disconnected fragments.
- Broken, saddened, depressed.
- 1918, W[illiam] B[abington] Maxwell, chapter VII, in The Mirror and the Lamp, Indianapolis, Ind.: The Bobbs-Merrill Company, →OCLC:
- […] St. Bede's at this period of its history was perhaps the poorest and most miserable parish in the East End of London. Close-packed, crushed by the buttressed height of the railway viaduct, rendered airless by huge walls of factories, it at once banished lively interest from a stranger's mind and left only a dull oppression of the spirit.
- (not comparable, textiles) Of a fabric, having the appearance of having been crushed.
- Her top was of black crushed velvet.