Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
Imitative. Later popularised by the cartoon character Homer Simpson in The Simpsons. Voice actor Dan Castellaneta has said he modelled his version on the drawn-out "do-o-o-o" sound made by Jimmy Finlayson in the films of Laurel and Hardy.
- (US) IPA(key): /doʊ/, /doʊʔ/
- (UK) IPA(key): /dəʊ/, /dəʊʔ/
Audio (UK) (file)
- Homophones: doe, doh, dough, do (music)
- Expresses frustration or anger, especially at one’s own stupidity.
- "I just paid for our food." "You didn't have to. It's free." "D'oh!"
expression of frustration