Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
daysman (plural daysmen)
- (archaic) An arbiter, referee, mediator.
- Neither is there any daysman betwixt us, that might lay his hand upon us both.
- 1621, Democritus Junior [pseudonym; Robert Burton], The Anatomy of Melancholy, Oxford: Printed by Iohn Lichfield and Iames Short, for Henry Cripps, OCLC 216894069:, New York, 2001, p.85:
- in Switzerland (we are informed by Simlerus), ‘they had some common arbitrators or daysmen in every town, that made a friendly composition betwixt man and man […]’.
1901, David Bryant Fulton, Jack Thorne, Hanover; Or The Persecution of the Lowly: A Story of the Wilmington Massacre, Online edition, Gutenberg Project, published 2009:
- Now, my darlings, let mother be the daysman between you […].
- A labourer who works during the day.