Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (UK) IPA(key): /diːˈbʌŋk/, /diːˈbʊŋk/
- (US) enPR: dĭ-bŭngkʹ, dē-bŭngkʹ, IPA(key): /dɪˈbʌŋk/, /ˌdiːˈbʌŋk/
- Rhymes: -ʌŋk
- (transitive) To discredit, or expose to ridicule the falsehood or the exaggerated claims of something.
- Sailing round the world debunked the theory that the earth was flat.
- Debunking the myth of the American West.
- That bullshit has already been debunked.
- A myth that has long been debunked.
- The explosion story was thoroughly debunked on National Public Radio in November 1999.
to discredit or expose the falsehood of something