Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
See also: décision
- The act of deciding.
- A choice or judgement.
2013 June 21, Karen McVeigh, “US rules human genes can't be patented”, in The Guardian Weekly, volume 189, number 2, page 10:
- The US supreme court has ruled unanimously that natural human genes cannot be patented, a decision that scientists and civil rights campaigners said removed a major barrier to patient care and medical innovation.
- It is the decision of the court that movies are protected as free speech.
- It's a tough decision, but I'll take vanilla.
- (uncountable) Firmness of conviction.
- After agonizing deliberations, they finally proceeded with decision.
- (chiefly combat sports) A result arrived at by the judges when there is no clear winner at the end of the contest.
- He has won twice by knockout, once by decision.
- (baseball) A win or a loss awarded to a pitcher.
- (choice or judgment): Most often, to decide something is to make a decision; however, other possibilities exist as well. Many verbs used with destination or conclusion, such as reach, come to, and arrive at can also be used with decision; these serve to emphasize that the decision is the result of deliberation. Finally, some varieties of English prefer to take a decision rather than make one.
- See Appendix:Collocations of do, have, make, and take for uses and meaning of decision collocated with these words.
- Adjectives often applied to "decision": important, difficult, big, tough, bad, informed, easy, personal, smart, poor, good, quick, major, strategic, wise, serious, hard, stupid, hasty, responsible, complex, prudent, deliberate, significant, collective, delayed, challenging, careful, foolish, small, rash, thoughtful, slow, clever, forced, uninformed.
choice or judgement
firmness of conviction
result arrived at by the judges
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
Translations to be checked
From Latin, see above
decision f (plural decisions)