Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- To take away a natural characteristic or inherent property of a thing or a person.
- (in reference to alcohol) to add something that makes alcohol unsuitable for consumption but leaves the alcohol suitable for other purposes.
- While you cannot drink denatured alcohol, you can still use it to remove sticker glue from most surfaces.
- (chemistry) To subject (especially a protein) to conditions altering its original form or state.
- To combine fissionable material with nonfissionable material in order to prevent its use in an atomic weapon.
- (to take away a natural characteristic of): denaturalize
to subject a protein to conditions altering its original form