Jump to navigation Jump to search
See also: d-hole
- (General American) IPA(key): /doʊl/
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /dəʊl/
- Rhymes: -əʊl
- Homophone: dole
dhole (plural dholes or dhole)
- An Asian wild dog, Cuon alpinus.
- 1895, Rudyard Kipling, Red Dog:
- Mowgli's wanderings had taken him to the edge of the high grassy downs of the Dekkan, and he had seen the fearless dholes sleeping and playing and scratching themselves in the little hollows and tussocks that they use for lairs.
- 2001, “Dhole”, in Endangered Wildlife and Plants of the World, Marshall Cavendish Corporation, page 451:
- This whistling, a means of communication for a pack of dhole regrouping after an unsuccessful hunt, inspired the other common name of this species—the whistling dog.
- (Cuon alpinus): Asian wild dog, Indian wild dog, whistling dog, red wolf, red dog, mountain wolf, kholsun, ajag, adjag
Asian wild dog
- dhole on Wikipedia.Wikipedia
- Cuon alpinus on Wikispecies.Wikispecies
- Cuon alpinus on Wikimedia Commons.Wikimedia Commons