Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
dime (plural dimes)
- (US) A coin worth one-tenth of a dollar.
- (Canada) A coin worth one-tenth of a Canadian dollar.
- (US, basketball) An assist
- (slang) A playing card with the rank of ten
- (slang) Ten dollars
- (slang) A thousand dollars
- (slang) A measurement of illicit drugs (usually marijuana) sold in ten dollar bags.
- (slang) Payment responsibility
- Are you traveling on the company's dime?
- (slang) A beautiful woman (10 on a 10-point scale)
- She's a dime piece.
- (American football) A defensive formation with six defensive backs, one of whom is a dimeback.
- (coin): ten cent piece (Used in other countries with dollars and cents currencies)
- (thousand dollars): grand
terms derived from dime (noun)
A coin worth one-tenth of a dollar
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
- Weisenberg, Michael (2000) The Official Dictionary of Poker. MGI/Mike Caro University. ISBN 978-1880069523
From the use of the coin in a payphone to report a crime to the police. US payphones charged 10¢ in almost all jurisdictions until the late 1970s.
- (US, slang, with "on") To inform on, to turn in to the authorities, to rat on, especially anonymously.
- Somebody dimed on me and I got arrested for selling marijuana.
- (inform on): drop a dime on,
- plural of
- Compound of the informal second-person singular (tú) affirmative imperative form of decir, di and the pronoun me.
- Tell me!