don't shit where you eat
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Audio (AU) (file)
- (idiomatic, vulgar) One should not cause trouble in a place, group, or situation in which one regularly finds oneself, as it will likely backfire
- 1994 April 14, Nelson Navarro, “Ever faithful, ever true”, in Manila Standard, Philippines, retrieved 12 August 2011:
- The guiding principle is Don't shit where you eat. Office romances are always destructive of morale and objectivity.
- 2003 October 8, Jonathan Valania, “Rush Limbaugh Is a Big Pussy”, in Philadelphia Weekly, retrieved 12 Aug. 2011:
- Limbaugh was scheduled to deliver the keynote speech at the NAB convention in, of all places, Philadelphia, thus violating the cardinal law of the animal kingdom: Don't shit where you eat.
- Often used as a warning of the dangers of workplace romances.
One should not cause trouble in a place, group, etc. which one frequents