Jump to navigation Jump to search
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /dɒs/
- (cot–caught merger, Canada) IPA(key): /dɑs/
Audio (AU) (file)
- Rhymes: -ɒs, -ɔːs
- (intransitive, Britain and Ireland) To avoid work, shirk, etc.
- I am going to doss tomorrow when the match is on.
- (intransitive, Britain, slang) To sleep in the open or in a derelict building because one is homeless
- I normally have to doss in shop doorways or park benches.
- (slang, Britain and Ireland) The avoidance of work.
- I am going to have a doss tomorrow.
- (slang, Britain and Ireland) An easy piece of work.
- Circumnavigating the world in a canoe is no doss.
- (slang, dated, Britain and Ireland) A place to sleep in; a bed.
- (slang, dated, Britain and Ireland, by extension) Sleep.
doss (not comparable)
- (Scotland) Useless or lazy. Generally combined with expletive noun, especially cunt.
- Get a hauld o yersel, ye doss cunt!
- (Scotland) Good, desirable.
- The place is pure doss, like.