Jump to navigation Jump to search
- even (suggesting an absolute minimum in a question)
- Voiko hän edes juosta?
- Is he even able to run?
- at least (suggesting an absolute minimum in a positive statement)
- anyway (in any event)
- even, so much as (suggesting the lack of even a minimum of something in a negative statement)
- Synonym: -kaan
- Asun talossa, jossa ei ole edes vesijohtoa.
- I live in a house which doesn't even have tap water.
- Hän käveli huoneeseen kysymättä edes lupaa ja alkoi selailla heidän tiedostojaan.
- Without so much as asking, he walked into the room and started digging through their files.
- Älä edes kuvittele!
- Don't even think of it!
- Edes NN ei osannut auttaa.
- Even NN was not able to help.
- (as modifier) for-, fore-, forth (signifies being in front of something, often figuratively)
- edesmennyt ― deceased (compare foregone)
- edestakaisin ― back and forth
- edesvastuu ― legal liability (liability in front of the law)
- (as headword) on, onward (in some time-related expressions)
- tästedes ― from now on
Declension of edes
- See the inflection table.
Form of the verb edō (“I eat”).
Form of the verb ēdō (“I dispatch”).
- in front (stationary)