Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
|< 85||86||87 >|
| Cardinal : eighty-six
Ordinal : eighty-sixth
cardinal number 86
In the 2006 film "Final Days of Planet Earth", Room 86 is where the aliens send troublesome humans to be packaged for later consumption. That may account for some of the usage in subsequent years.
- (colloquial) To cancel an order for food.
- "eighty-six the ham and eggs for table two!"
- (colloquial) To remove an item from the menu.
- eighty-six the lobster bisque - we won't have the lobster delivery until tomorrow.
- "Yes, I'd like the tomato soup." / "I'm sorry sir, that's been eighty-sixed - would you like a salad instead?"
- (colloquial) To remove or eject, as a disruptive customer
- Ryan and his friends got too rowdy at the bar, so they were eighty-sixed.
- (colloquial) To throw out; discard.
- "We finally had to eighty-six that old printer after it jammed one too many times."
- "...Apple eighty-sixed all of its paid moderators..." --MacAddict January 2007, p. 25