every shut eye isn't asleep
Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- a large number of alternative forms exist, e.g. "all closed eyes aren't sleeping", using "ain't", or using "closed" instead of "shut" and "sleep" or "sleeping" instead of "asleep", or pluralizing "eye" to "eyes" (at which point "all" is used instead of "every" and "aren't" is used instead of "isn't")
- (especially African American Vernacular) One must be careful, because some people who seem not to be paying attention are actually paying attention.
- 1994, Michael S. Harper, Anthony Walton, Every Shut Eye Ain't Asleep: An Anthology of Poetry (ISBN 0316347124)
- 2006, Lisa Walker, Every Shut Eye Ain't Sleep (ISBN 0595834590)
- 2007, Patricia Barbee, Every Shut Eye Isn't Asleep (ISBN 0595868495)
- 2011, Teresa Hill, Every Closed Eye Ain't Sleep: African American Perspectives (ISBN 1610481046)