Jump to navigation Jump to search
Audio (US) (file)
expectorant (plural expectorants)
- (medicine) An agent or drug used to cause or induce the expulsion of phlegm from the lungs.
- 1833, R. J. Bertin, Charles W. Chauncy, transl., Treatise on the Diseases of the Heart, and Great Vessels, Philadelphia: Carey, Lea & Blnachard, page 165:
- The disease was regarded as pneumonia so far advanced that suppuration seemed to have supervened; bleeding, blisters, expectorants, and cathartics diminished the symptoms; the pulse continued frequent, hard, full, but always regular.
agent or drug
expectorant (not comparable)
- (medicine) Causing or assisting the expulsion of phlegm.
- an expectorant preparation