Jump to navigation Jump to search
- (General American) IPA(key): /ˈfɑɹmɪŋ/
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ˈfɑːmɪŋ/
Audio (US) (file)
- Rhymes: -ɑː(ɹ)mɪŋ
- Hyphenation: farm‧ing
- The business of cultivating land, raising stocks etc.
- A farming operation; a farm, or instance of farming on a piece of land.
- 1692, John Quick, Synodicon in Gallia reformata:
- We discharge them also of all Farmings of Benefices, and Church Lands, or Goods, of which they were spoiled by those who Commanded under their General.
- 1986, Science reports of the Institute of Geoscience, University of Tsukuba., page 24:
- After Agricultural Foundation Law was enacted in 1961, the expansion of scale of farm business, the improvement of agricultural foundation, the spread of diversified farming with livestock, the mechanization and the rationalization of farming have accelerated viable farmings.
- 1997, Hamlet Bareh, The History and Culture of the Khasi People, →ISBN, page 433:
- The problem has been enhanced more so because more agricultural farmings are spreading out leaving but slight margins for cattle farming and fears are expressed by farmers upon the possible cattle intrusion into the farmings ...
agriculture — see agriculture
farming (not comparable)
- Pertaining to the agricultural business.
- Raising livestock or fish.