- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /fəʊˈtɑːtəʊs/, /fə-/, /-ˈteɪ-/
- (General American) IPA(key): /foʊˈteɪtoʊs/, /fə-/, /-təs/, /-ɾəs/
- Hyphenation: faux‧ta‧toes
- (plural only) A dish of mashed cauliflower used as an alternative to potatoes by followers of a low-carbohydrate diet.
2010, Dana Carpender, “Sides”, in 1,001 Low-Carb Recipes: Hundreds of Delicious Recipes from Dinner to Dessert that Let You Live Your Low-Carb Lifestyle and Never Look Back, Beverly, Mass.: Fair Winds Press, →ISBN, page 209:
- Cauliflower Purée (a.k.a. "Fauxtatoes") This is a wonderful substitute for mashed potatoes with any dish that has a gravy or sauce.
2014, J. J. Virgin, “Top Swaps and the Virgin Plate”, in The Virgin Diet Cookbook: 150 Easy and Delicious Recipes to Lose Weight and Feel Better Fast, New York, N.Y.: Grand Central Life & Style, →ISBN:
- Are your kids begging for mashed potatoes with their grilled chicken and Brussels sprouts (hooray for you if your kids eat Brussels sprouts!)? Make a healthier choice by switching to faux-tatoes, a blend of pureed cauliflower and coconut milk.
2015, Dana Carpender, “Hot Vegetable Sides”, in Paleo/Primal in 5 Ingredients or Less: More than 200 Sugar-Free, Grain-Free, Gluten-Free Recipes, Beverly, Mass.: Fair Winds Press, →ISBN, page 128:
- Fauxtatoes are a great stand-in for mashed potatoes, especially if you have a super tasty gravy to soak up.
- plural of .