Audio (AU) (file)
firey (plural fireys)
- (Australia, colloquial) A firefighter.
- 2006, Don Woodland, Simon Bouda, Salvation Army, Picking Up the Pieces: A Life of Care and Compassion, page 135:
- So if a firey was having difficulties, I could go into bat for him if I felt it was necessary.
- 2010, Helen Thomas, Life with Rosie: The Highs and Lows of Raising a Racehorse, unnumbered page:
- ‘Just one of those things that happens on a day like this,’ one of the fireys says, staring at what was the back door of the car.
- 2010, Karen Kissane, Worst of Days: Inside the Black Saturday Firestorm, unnumbered page:
- Kinglake West firey Chris Lloyd says the camaraderie is a critical ingredient of CFA life.
- Misspelling of .
The word fire and the fier- in the word fiery have counterintuitively different spellings. Furthermore, fire is traditionally one syllable (now usually two), while fiery is three. As such, it is easy to mistake fiery as a misspelling of fire + -y.