Jump to navigation Jump to search
- The first language one is taught to speak; one's native language.
- She was born and raised in France, although her first language is Portuguese because her parents are from Brazil.
- Synonyms: native language, mother tongue, mother language
- 2018, Clarence Green; James Lambert, “Advancing disciplinary literacy through English for academic purposes: Discipline-specific wordlists, collocations and word families for eight secondary subjects”, in Journal of English for Academic Purposes, volume 35, DOI:https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jeap.2018.07.004, page 105:
- Vocabulary is a vital component of educational success in both first and second language contexts.
- The language one feels most comfortable and capable with.
- Used other than figuratively or idiomatically: see first, language.
first language — See also translations at mother tongue