See also: flat iron
flatiron (plural flatirons)
- A simple iron (for pressing laundry) which is heated on a stove
- A pair of metal tongs with heated ceramic plates used for straightening hair.
- (especially referring to the shape of a building) a quadrilateral with two parallel sides, one of which is very short, and whose non-parallel sides are longer than either parallel side.
- (geomorphology) A steeply sloping triangular landform created by the differential erosion of a steeply dipping, erosion-resistant layer of rock overlying softer strata.
- A flat iron steak.
- (tool for hair): straightener
flatiron (not comparable)
- Having a flatiron shape.
- a flatiron building
1900, Charles W. Chesnutt, chapter I, in The House Behind the Cedars:
- The street down which Warwick had come intersected Front Street at a sharp angle in front of the old hotel, forming a sort of flatiron block at the junction, known as Liberty Point