Jump to navigation Jump to search
- any of one's male associates, friends, buddies, or companions
- a friar; a male member of a mendicant religious order
- a. 1400, Geoffrey Chaucer, “The Summoner's Tale”, in The Canterbury Tales, lines 1693-1696:
- Right so as bees out swarmen from an hyve, / Out of the develes ers ther gonne dryve / Twenty thousand freres on a route / And thurghout helle swarmed al aboute...
- Just like bees swarm from a hive / Out of the devil's arse there were driven / Twenty thousand friars on a rout / And throughout hell they swarmed all about...
- a friary; a religious institute for friars
- (rare) a monk; a male member (a brother) of a monastic religious order
frere m (plural freres)
- brother (male sibling)
- French: frère
frere m (oblique plural freres, nominative singular frere, nominative plural frere)
- brother (family member)